So, reuphosltry (reupholstering?) is all over the web right now. Chances are it's always been all over, but I only recently got interested in home-decor-buisness so I just got used to them.
Either way, seeing it all over simply made me think I could do it :). It's not a hard project to tackle at all. My first attempt was major time consuming (and, at time, mucho frustrating), but not too hard. It wasn't so bad, and I'd do it again for sure. Maybe eventually I'll have the courage to tackle a full on wing back chair or something.
Here's some of the inspiration, I've been all about. It's what got me thinking.
I know - when you see stuff like that, you can't help but want to do some DIY work of your own. I mean, it could be that hard, right?
I forgot to take before photos of my chair and ottoman (a hand-me-down from my grandma so no worries if the project didn't work out, because the furniture was free), but you can see them in a couple of photos from our big move.
Also, I laid the fabric back on top of my chair to "fake" the look of the old chair, to share with everyone. It looked pretty much exactly like this:
It's not a bad chair; the fabric was actually pretty, but the whole purpose behind this reupholstering adventure, was to take a chair and ottoman that I all ready had, that totally didn't match, and make them match each other - and make them match our bedroom too.
I started by removing the fabric, only to realize that the chair had been reupholstered once before. I pulled all the fabric off, using a screwdriver to pry out the old staples that were holding the fabric on.
I guess the one advantage about it the chair being reupholstered once before was that I could use the fabric as a pattern for the new fabric I picked up at JoAnn's at 50% off (I spent about $30 total, and that included some upholstery tacks).
I spray painted the legs of the chair and ottoman black with spray paint. I didn't even bother taping anything off because I figured I'd be covering the fabric anyway. After the paint dried and I bought a new light-duty staple gun, I had a finished project.
It's not perfect (a paint drip here or there and a weird bunch of fabric spot), but I couldn't be happier! The set looks great in our bedroom and matches our new comforter perfectly! I love it! (Also, the chair is missing the teal lining around the bottom - I didn't buy enough, but I plan on picking up some next time I make it out to JoAnn's.)